Monday, July 30, 2012

Serenading



Even though I'm not hanging out on my blog as much as I would like these days, I am working harder at getting more sewing (and knitting! and crocheting!) done, and even finishing some projects! (Shock, horror!) And although I'm not 'here' very much, you can often find me on Twitter, having a little natter about all things fabric, quilts and a lot of other stuff too. I really love Twitter (my husband would even say I'm addicted. No comment). And best of all, I'm amazed at how many lovely people I've met through Twitter, and some of whom I've been able to meet in person too!




One of those lovely people is Jane. Jane lives in Brisbane, is a prolific quilter and quilts for others too, as well as running a fabulous online shop selling Moda pre cuts (amongst other goodies).


Jane had admired my little leafy appliqué escapades and very kindly sent me a jelly roll of Serenade by Kate Spain to have a play with. If you've had a wander around my blog or have been reading here for a while (thank you!) you'll know I have a thing for appliquéd leaves....


I soon got to work, cutting out lots of leaves with the gorgeous Serenade fabrics. I love the colour palette in this range, beautiful autumnal oranges and browns through to greys, purples and blues. I love the marbled effect prints which show a graduation through the whole palette.


The leaves are hand stitched onto a background of Essex natural linen - beautiful to sew on to, lovely and soft! And then I attached a piece of batting and machine quilted around each of the leaves to make them standout.


The final touch, a pillow back made with the jelly roll strips, echoing the colour graduation effect of the leaves layout. This is a pretty big pillow - 20 inches. I didn't even have a pillow form to fit it, so sadly it's looking a little baggy at the moment!

Thanks again Jane, for these beautiful fabrics to play with!

5 comments:

  1. You know I love it :).
    The colours look great against the Essex linen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came back for a second look. Like I said on Twitter (hehe) great idea using jelly roll for appliqué cut outs/hexagons etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle

    Found your blog through a comment you left on mine! What a coincidence. The quilt I'm working on at the moment - called Message in a bottle - has a lot of the linen-look fabric - with newsprint/script. I should finish this quilt by the end of January and it will be one that I'll be teaching at Jukejema in Nowra. I'm also using it for my next quilt - working title Melodie (as you would have seen on my blog). I too absolutely love the feel and look of this fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I read every comment and appreciate you taking the time to read my little blog. I try to respond to all comments by email but sometimes life gets in the way. Thanks for understanding.